Monday, June 20, 2016

Merlot Flowers

Hello and another week started.  I decided to pull out my Ken Oliver powders this morning as I wanted to try masking and layering with the powders.  I ended up with two cards using both pieces from my masking.

I have been wanting to play along in the CAS Mix Up Card Challenge as it mixes the Mixed Media with the idea of a cleaner design.  Dirty but clean?

Here is the mask I created by cutting a rectangle from white cardstock in the middle of a piece of cardstock.
 I laid this over the card front on this card:

I then sprinkled Merlot and Ochre Powder over both the frame and the center of the white cardstock. After I sprinkled my mix I used a brush to spread it around and paint the powders (dry) over the inside of the frame.  I then sprinkled a little more and pushed it around.  I used a tiny spray bottle to squirt water onto the mask and opening. I kept it on through the whole process until I was done squirting the water on.  I then lifted the mask (frame) and dried them with a heat gun.  After that I re-sized the frame to fit on the card front.

I stamped text onto the frame using Archival Ink (Green Leaf).  I then spread more of the Merlot onto my craft mat and spritzed the wildflower stamp(Stampers Anonymous) with water and dragged the stamp through the powder to ink it  up. I stamped the flowers onto the front of a white card base. I repeated with a smaller flower stamp.

I then attached the frame over the stamped images and added a small sentiment(memory box) in the same green ink.

For the second card I used the same mask (I flipped it over to not mess with my powder effect) and laid it off center. I also took the center piece and masked my powders to protect them from my sponging of the distress ink to create a shadow effect for my main panel. I repeated this twice once with fossilized Amber and the second time with Abandoned Coral.

I then stamped my wildflower and sentiment using black ink.  I added a sprig of holly die cut(Memory Box) over the top. 

Have a wonderful Day!

Suzz

Photo:

6 comments:

  1. Your finished card turned out beautifully. I love your background piece...very artsy and your silhouette die cut flowers. TFS and joining us at CAS Mix Up. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two gorgeous cards from the one masked piece ... great job Suzz! Love the colours and your silhouette stamping combined with die-cut for your second card. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've gotten fantastic results with these powders, Suzanne! Love these colors and the fantastic clean design! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous pair of cards - love them both! Great use of the powders and the combination of stamp and die cut on the second one. Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your playtime Sue, fabulous cards xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cards Suzz, love the masking and the black really pops against the more colourful backdrops. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!