Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Home

Much of my extended family lives in Wisconsin.   As a child we would go to visit my grandparents and we would be driving through miles and miles of farmland.  I loved and still love to see the old farmhouses, silos and the occasional windmill. 

The new Darkroom Door Windmill stamp brings back all those memories. I couldn't wait to ink it up and create a few projects.

I have been seeing some beautiful paintings  on pinterest all created using Alcohol Inks.  I thought I would try that to create my background for the Windmill.

Steps for the background:

  1. Drip 3 drops of black alcohol ink on felt applicator.  Add 2 drops of alcohol blending solution. 
  2. Smear the black ink along the bottom half of the glossy cardstock. 
  3. Drip 3 drips of rust alcohol ink on felt applicator. Add 2 drops of alcohol blending solution. 
  4. Dab over black colored surface of glossy cardstock. 
  5. Drip 3 drops of yellow alcohol ink on felt applicator.  Add 2 drops of alcohol blending solution. 
  6. Smear yellow over top half of cardstock. Re-apply alcohol ink as needed to cover top half of glossy cardstock. 
  7. Drip 3 drops of orange alcohol ink on felt applicator. Add 2 drops of alcohol blending solution. 
  8. Dab orange ink across yellow surface. Re-apply alcohol ink as needed. 
  9. Repeat process mixing in caramel, yellow and orange until the background is as desired. 
  10. Drip 3 drops of black alcohol ink on felt applicator. Add a few drops of alcohol blending solution. 
  11. Dab over bottom half and along the line between the orange and black. 
  12. Stamp weeds/flowers using Black StazOn along top of black. 
  13. Stamp the Corrugated Iron over the background using  StazOn - Timber Brown. 
  14. Stamp the word Home using StazOn on acetate. Attach with clip on the side. 
  15. Stamp the sentiment along the left side using StazOn. 

For my card I used the same background but added a house in the front.
I added a house colored with a hint of golden brown to my scene on the card. I also stamped the windmill on acetate using StazOn.  I cut out the top and pop dotted to attach. I then added a brad to cover the pop dot.

Products: Darkroom Door - Home Sweet Home, Country WindmillCorrugated Iron,
Ranger Alcohol Inks - Caramel, Rust, Black, Yellow, Orange,  Raffia, Watercolor Pencil, Waterbrush, Alcohol blending solution, StazOn - Black, Timber Brown, Ranger Distress Ink Walnut Stain, Brads

Thanks for stopping by!


Suzz

6 comments:

  1. Its brilliant. I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to give us the step by step for this technique Sue. These are gorgeous and so striking! I'd love to have a go at this sometime soon.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous card and tag Suzanne...must be great memories for you, and a pleasure for us to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a magical stamp - it really captures that sense of the wide open landscape... and your alcohol ink skies are just fabulous on both tag and card. Thanks so much for all those how-to details!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. just awesome Suzz. Love the silhouette of the windmill. Great background. The corrugated iron stamp really makes the tag look like it really is just that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!